Signing Ceremony for 5 MoUs under HICDPs in Kabul, 05th July, 2020
India and Afghanistan further strengthened their development partnership through the signing of 5 MoUs under High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDP) implemented by the Government of India in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
2) Since 2001, India has undertaken projects worth US$ 3 billion in Afghanistan, including US$ 1 billion pledged in 2016, under the “New Development Partnership” Scheme over the period of five years as part of its commitment to assist Afghanistan emerge as a peaceful, united, prosperous and pluralistic nation.
3) Projects under the 5 MoUs signed today come within the purview of HICDP Scheme. Since 2005, Government of India has committed US$ 200 million to support over 550 projects throughout Afghanistan under HICDP. Of these, over 400 projects have been completed while the remaining are under various stages of implementation.
4) Today’s signing ceremony was presided over by H.E. Dr. Mustafa Mastoor, Minister of Economy, Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan at Government Media and Information Center. Tripartite agreements were signed between Government of India, Ministry of Economy and the implementing Ministries such as Ministry of Education and Ministry of Higher Education. Two MoUs were signed by Ambassador Vinay Kumar and Ministers Dr. Mustafa Mastoor and Mr. Abdul Tawab Balakarzai while three MoUs were signed by Ambassador Vinay Kumar and Ministers Dr. Mustafa Mastoor and Ms. Rangina Hamidi.
5) Projects under the 5 MoUs signed today are related to Construction of Classrooms, Construction of Higher Education Building and Construction of road within Albironi University Campus and are spread across the country - Nooristan, Badakhshan, Farah and Kapisa.
6) The Government of India remains committed to take forward the India-Afghanistan Development Partnership based on the national priorities of the Government and people of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
05th July, 2020