Lost or Damaged Passports

An Indian national resident in Maldives who has lost his/her passport should apply for a new passport at the High Commission of India. Tourists who have lost/damaged their passport would be considered for an Emergency Certificate (EC). An EC is a one-way travel document valid only for the return trip back to India and is issued after the High Commission is satisfied on the bona-fides of the applicant. Once back in India, the applicant may approach the passport office which had issued the original passport for issuing a duplicate passport on production of the EC.



Documents required:

  • Copy of the police report (FIR) intimating loss along with copy of the lost passport
  • In case of work permit holders, Employer certificate (latest in English) mentioning the passport No and present residential address. Work Permit card and its copy.
  • Recent color photographs (Click here) to view photo specifications)
  • Affidavit Lost/damaged passport. (Annexure - F)



Ordinary Passport booklet (36 pages)MVR 2355/-
Jumbo Passport booklet (60 pages)MVR 2740/-

 Processing Time: 30 days


1. Only applicants having Work Permit in Maldives will be issued new passports. Applicants on other visas will be issued Emergency Certificate in lieu of lost/damaged passport.

2. The completed application may be submitted at the High Commission of India counter on any working day between 0930 hours to 1200 hours.

High Commission of India Male, Maldives