Conversion of PIO to OCI card
All Valid PIO-Card Holders may now register to become OCI-Card Holder.
Instructions For PIO Card Holders / Key Points For Registration :
1. Read Instruction carefully before starting the registration process.
2. Start registration as OCI-Registration (in lieu of valid PIO card) and fill all details required.
3. Provide Valid PIO-Card details at the place specified. PIO-Card should be valid as on 9th Jan 2015.
4. Complete Part-B of the registration process.
5. The erstwhile PIO cardholder with a valid PIO card as on 09.01.2015 will have to upload only the following documents with his/her application :- a) copy of the valid Passport b) copy of the PIO card. The applicants can submit their applications online in the concerned Mission within the jurisdiction of their place of residence.
6. No registration-fee will be charged for such applications.
Eligibility criteria for OCI Registration
The Central Government may, subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed, on an application made in this behalf, register as an overseas citizen of India :-
(a) any person of full age and capacity :-
The territories which became part of India after 15.08.1947 are: (i) Sikkim 26.04.1975 (ii) Pondicherry 16.08.1962 (iii) Dadra & Nagar Haveli 11.08.1961 (iv) Goa, Daman & Diu 20.12.1961]
(b) a person, who is a minor child of a person mentioned in clause (a) or
Provided that no person, who is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an overseas Citizen of India.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OCI CARD HOLDERS
ALTERNATIVELY, Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under OCI Misc Service particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited. New OCI Registration can be done online.